Thursday 22 December 2016

New Year without WiFi!


2017 WITHOUT WiFi !




It was time to renew our broadband contract. I never stay with the same provider for more than a year (so I can get the cheap introductory deals).

My Virgin Media bill was shooting up from nothing to £46/mo. I was expecting better and better broadband deals this time of year. I waited. But they never came.




It's like buying a big bag of sharing crisps. I'll NEVER pay more than £1 for a bag of crisps. It's just my principle. The broadband offers weren't low enough.

So here we are, out of contract and no WiFi.

The kids are horrified. If they could, they'd spend all day on YouTube. It's the holidays, school's finished and THEY DESERVE WiFi!




It's a form of cruelty. What sort of parent doesn't provide all the essentials - food, clothes and WiFi - for their kids?!?


On the other hand, I see it as an opportunity



If you've read my book Murder Your Mortgage in 7 Years you'll know that we've never had a TV.

SHOCKER! 

In fact, it was a deliberate choice. One day I realised I was paying more attention to a screen than to my kid.

I reckon one can waste a lot of time and lose personal interaction watching TV. More recently I've been thinking about how the media shape our opinions.

YouTube has caused my kids to interact less with each other. We even started watching YouTube at the dinner table. There, we talk about what we see, but not about our lives.


But now we have no WiFi.



So what do we do now? As with the "NIGHTMARE" 5p charge for plastic shopping bags, we adapt. My kids are adapting and there are signs it's bringing back balance.


Yesterday we chatted over dinner and my kids are talking to each other a little more (headphones off, not listening to pop songs on YouTube probably helped)...


5-star book on Amazon!
GET STARTED IN 2017 








No comments:

Post a Comment